Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Proposal

"The Proposal" was originally posted in our wedding website.

Date: September 29, 2007

Place: Penang, Malaysia


It was the second day of my vacation in the beautiful island of Penang and Carl & I just arrived in the hotel from an exhausting city tour. Carl remained full of energy and couldn't seem to stop talking about "The Ship", a restaurant where we will be having dinner that night. He kept on repeating that it was a very romantic restaurant and a perfect treat for my Penang farewell dinner. I was listening with half an ear and was taking cat naps until it was time for us to leave Batu Ferringhi. I was amazed when I saw the restaurant since it was shaped literally as a ship. So that's where it got its name. =)


Picture taken infront of "The Ship" the day after Carl proposed

While having our dinner, Carl looked a bit agitated. When I asked him why, he said that the atmosphere in the restaurant was not exactly the “romantic” setting that he hoped it would be. With the song “Anak” playing in the background, I was inclined o agree. =) Don’t ask me why a Freddie Aguilar song is playing in a Malaysian restaurant ‘coz I’m as bewildered as you are. =)

To save our “romantic” dinner date, Carl invited me for a walk along the beach before we head back to the hotel. After a bit of strolling, we chanced upon a bench on the beach and decided to take a seat and just spend time together. We will be apart again by tomorrow and not see each other for another month so we wanted to spend quality time just being with each other. After a bit of chit-chat, Carl suddenly became silent then he took hold of my hand and began his speech. The minute he took my hand and started stroking my ring finger I thought “Is he going to propose tonight!!???!!!”. I was in a state of shock! My hands felt clammy and my heart was pounding in my ears. Too much pounding that I heard only bits and pieces of the fairly long speech that my normally shy and quiet boyfriend was saying. I heard the “growing old together” part and the “I can see you as the mother of our children” part then finally “Gladys, will you marry me?”. The pounding suddenly stopped. I felt light-headed and if not for Carl still holding on to my hand, I think I might have floated right up to heaven. As he pulled the ring out of his pocket, I knew deep in my heart that he is the one person that God intended me to share the rest of my life with. So, the answer to the question was easy. I said “Yes” to my honey, my hoody and my love forever.


Trivia: The reason why Carl was stroking my ring finger was because he was worried that the ring might not fit.... It was a perfect fit. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment