Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, June 18, 2009

While I am waiting...

I can't believe how fast time flies. Today marks our eighth month as husband and wife & in 3 weeks time, Maia is just about ready to pop out of the oven (figuratively speaking, of course). As I sit here waiting for Carl to pick me up, I have decided to answer one of those surveys posted in a yahoo group that I'm a member of. The survey Q&A is about "Adjusting to Married Life". So here goes:

1. What was your major adjustment when you started living together after the wedding?
I'll have to say it would be adjusting my way of thinking from "mine" to "ours". Its so easy to say during the first few weeks of our marriage, "Ako masusunod sa TV channel kasi akin ang TV." or "Pera ko naman to eh so I can buy anything I want." In the first few months, we ended up having a schedule for TV shows I want to watch and Carl's basketball games. When I think about it now, natatawa na lang ako. =) At the very least, we learned the value of compromise from that experience.
I think Carl had a better grasp of the "ours" principle. When I asked him the same question last night, he said his biggest adjustment was calling my father "papa". Ako din naman hon eh - I also had some trouble adjusting to calling his parents "papa" and "mama". =)

2. What was the thing you like most/least about it?
Like I said previously, the "ours" principle taught us the value of compromise.

3. Is there something you wish other married couples have told you beforehand?
None that I can think of. I am blessed to have a husband that complements my character. Also, being together for six years before marrying helped us adjust to each others quirks and habits.

4. Any tips for newlyweds living in their new home/with their in laws?
In the start it might feel like you're just playing bahay-bahayan but it helps for the both of you to have a clear plan for your future. Whether it be to save up for a house, a car, have a baby... There are things that you have to prepare and plan for beyond your wedding. Sabi nga nila, the wedding is just for a day but your marriage will be a lifetime. So, it pays that you have a plan for your future as a couple/family.

**********

Wow... 34 weeks and 1 day... In a few weeks time this wriggly little baby in my tummy is going to say "Hello world!". =) I can't wait to hold my baby love. But while waiting for that day to come, I'll enjoy every minute of carrying her around and feeling her move inside me. As I lumber around in my huge swelling "hobbit"-like feet, I know she's safe and snug inside me --- and that is always a comforting thought. =)

1 comment:

  1. very nice advice glads. thanks for sharing.
    6 years pala kayo ni carl. kung ako kaya... if i find someone, tapos 6 years pa before marriage... hmmmm. oh no, baka mag menopause na ako! hehehe

    ReplyDelete